Llanelli & Carmarthen Circuit - Hall Street, Llanelli
Superintendant Minister: Revd Ian Waugh
Hall Street is a landmark church with a very significant history. It is a Grade 11 listed building, "designed as an elaborate Gothic chapel by an architect said to have led the Wesleyan church into the path of the Gothic Revival" (P.Holden, present Architect leading the proposed redevelopment).
The first phase of construction was completed
in 1856 and was designed by James Wilson, architect of
Bath. The second phase (1870) of Transepts and Alter
apse are attributed to James Wilson but may have been
carried out by his son, also an architect who married
into the 'Buckley' Family. Rev. James Buckley combined
his clerical calling with the founding of the famous
Within the nave, Wilson has created a wonderful baronial hall framed by ranks of braced scissor trusses supported on moulded timber brackets.
The church is used for weekly services, including funerals and is in demand for weddings and baptisms. There is a prayer group that meets monthly, a weekly fellowship meeting and other ad hoc events. Sunday services have a breadth of worship style.
There is the new Lantern Centre at the side of the church, a modern and well-equipped hall (with separate meeting room) which is used throughout the week for church meetings and community activities.
The church is fortunate in having an excellent childrens' and youth leadership team -there is a Sunday Club, CHAT group for teenagers, and a Junior and Senior Youth Club. All are welcome.
You will find Hall Street Methodist church to
be friendly and welcoming. Do come and see us.
Sunday Morning Worship 10.30am (with Sunday
Club for children) at Hall St
ALPHA COURSE is run periodically.
Meets on the lst and 3rd Wednesdays of the month from March to
June and September to December,